I am amazed by how much shorter time seems the longer you have had it. At 21, 26 seemed a long time away. Now at 26, 21 feels like recent past. Other than my toddler 5, these 5 years have been the most happening in my life. The toddler 5 don't really matter for the topic of discussion because I don't remember much of it. Anyway, I digress.
Why 21 to 26? Why not 20 to 25? 21 because that's when I (under)graduated and stepped out into the so called "real" world. Or should I say the "unreal" corporate world. I think I have achieved quite a few of my goals in these 5 years. But thinking back, what kind of goals did I set? I hoped to get to US within 3 years and I achieved that in 1 year. I vowed to get a promotion in 2 years and got 2 promotions in 2 years. But weren't they just goals for my career? Thinking back, did I have any goals for my LIFE? Or did I just equate career to life? I guess I did. So was that ok that I set goals only for my career when I was 21? May be it was. Isn't career supposed to me one's main focus at that early age?
Where am I in my personal life now? Most of my close friends are half-way around the world which doesn't make it any easier to stay in touch. I can telepathize some of your thoughts - "Well... you can still stay in touch if you really want to; after all the world has shrunk". Think I don't know that? Yeah the world has shrunk but so has human mind. It might be a cliche, but how many of your neighbors do you know?
Lots of questions with no definitive answers. At the end of it all, here I am writing my first blog on blogspot (or blogger for the perfectionist in you) and wondering, what have I achieved in these 5 years and what have I lost? I have achieved my goals in my career but in that path, I wonder, if I have lost a few friendships. May be it is time for me reorganize my priorities and give more importance to friendships and relationships than my career. May be I should do the simplest of things - call people on my contact list at least once a month. May be I should care more about people than about my career.
Or may be I should shut the f*** up and get back to the 10 projects that I have to complete by end of this week.
1 comment:
Giving more priority to friendships/relationships than your career may not necessarily be the best thing at this stage in your life - but I agree, perhaps giving some more priority to friendships/relationships than you've been giving over the past several years may be a good stepping stone. In the end, career can help you occupy your time and give you the monetary fulfillment you need, but the best moments in life I think are those spent with people close to you...so drowning yourself in work may not be the best thing...I think maintaining a good balance is a smart move though =)
Post a Comment